Saturday, May 31, 2008

My diabetic life (a primer)

I thought I'd blog about myself, and my life with diabetes.

I'm a Type 2 diabetic. This used to be known as adult onset. I became diagnosed about 20 years ago, maybe a little more. I wasn't surprised, as I have a family history of it.

But I treated my body like an amusement park for so long, it is more my fault than anything genetic. Being overweight is probably the most significant contributing factor. Of course, I never ate very well, but that is less than the amount that caused the weight issues. I'm sure it didn't help that I drank a lot, also.

Once I was diagnosed, I did the dumbest thing possible--I ignored it. Doctors told me I wouldn't live to age 30, and definately not 40, so rather than prove the doctors wrong, I thought, "F it, party on, Big Guy."

To be continued.

No comments: