Tuesday, June 03, 2008

My Diabetic Life (part 2)

I really have a hard time writing this, probably because it's kind of painful. And not just the physical pain, and plenty of that has happened, but the mental aspects.

For today, I'll just hit the physical parts.

My first diabetic wound was around 1992 or so. It was on my right foot, and the result of, believe it or not, exercise.

I started walking more, and a blister developed. I had no idea how serious this was. Eventually, I wound up in the hospital for 40 days of IV antibiotics.

This was a new job, so it didn't sit well that I needed to take a few months off.

It took many more years (and 2 more long term hospitalizations) after that to fully heal. I got other jobs, and subsequently lost those due to my illness. Most places don't like it when someone misses years at a time.

Then, it started on my other foot. That's the one that is even worse.

My foot became infected, and eventually, they had to amputate a toe (4th -the piggy that got no roast beef.) The worst part of that is one of my tendons was cut. So, now, I walk on the side of my foot, which opens the wound. It's nearly impossible to heal. It's been opened since January 2007.

more to come (told you this disease destroys)

No comments: