Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Diabetes and Depression; a follow up

I have suggested before, based upon personal experience and many conversations with other diabetics, that a link exists between these two conditions.

I Googled, and found that very little research has been done concerning this, but here is what I have found: Numerous studies have been conducted, and plenty of anecdotal evidence indicates that sugar causes depression, so it would be pretty logical to presume that one who has excess sugar in the blood system could also suffer from depression related to sugar.

Yes, it's a stretch, and has no basis in scientific data, but my hypothesis is as good as any scientist's.

I also find the connection could be based upon the feelings that high sugar usually elicit: tiredness, crankiness, and generallly unpleasantness.

Anyone know where I can get a major grant to study this?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so true. I spoke with a nurse from my healthplan. She stated that not only does it cause depression and moodiness, but does also cause it to be to the extreme. When I win the lottery I will get you a grant!

Marie said...

That is a great suggestion Joe. But you might not even need a grant. A nurse getting a Master's might be interested in doing a thesis on that subject. Maybe you could contact Rutger's School of Nursing?

I think one reason there hasn't been a lot of research is the same as it is for depression and MS. It becomes a chicken/egg thing. Are we depressed because we have a crappy disease or did the crappy disease cause the depression?

Unknown said...

A group of diabetics I know have suffered depression. Most of the time it is due to having to plan your day around reading your blood sugar, watching what you eat and when you eat and taking your meds on time. Diabetes affect every aspect of your life and planning each day. It CONTROLS you. You have days you do not feel good and feel that your family does not understand which can lead into depression that can last for days. There are side effects with the diabetic medications.

A New Yorker said...

I consume a good amount of sugar and I am happier than ever! Hmmm