Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Diva speaks again

My favorite Diabetic Diva

The last time we were together I mentioned that I may or may not talk about exercise in my next discussion on diabetes. I've decided that I wanted you to know about something else.

So, please bear with me as I give you a descriptive reflection on my daily injections.

I'd like to meet the person that said my body was to be used as a human pincushion.

No, I'm not into acupuncture.

I'm not one of the carnival people that like to put needles all over their bodies.

I don't have an tatoos.

I'm one of the lucky people that rely on a needle to give my body insulin to keep me alive. I don't think I worked very hard for this honor. I surely didn't want to be the best in my field. Who wants to stick needles in their bodies? Not once, but four times a day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. It's a lot better than the alternative, if you know what I mean. But sometimes, you just get tired of doing it.

Depending on the time of day a typical injection can go like this:

Locate syringe for the injection and decide which insulin you will be using. Locate area you will be injecting and cleanse with an alcohol pad. Pull desired amount of air into syringe for injection into insulin bottle. Depress air into insulin bottle and then draw desired amount of insulin into the syringe. Hold needle up to the light and tap the side to release any air pockets. Pinch up the skin and insert needle into your desired locale (stomach, thigh, arm, hip, butt, or anywhere you can reach) scream like mad when you hit a nerve and depress the plunger until all of the insulin has been successfully transferred from the syringe into your body. Withdraw needle and discard properly.

I do this four times a day. I begin my day with a shot to the stomach and end my day with a shot in the ass.

For now, I'm the Diabetic Diva, and kids, don't play with the needles.

5 comments:

lot 2 learn said...

A needle 4 times a day ! I could not even imagine. You have my sympathy

Fibro Viv said...

My husband has to deal with this too! Do you get bruises where you inject?

Viv

Anonymous said...

@lot 2 learn: Thanks

@fibro liv: Yes, I get bruises as well. I thinks its when I don't get all of the air out of the syringe/

Fibro Viv said...

I will share this information with my hubby. It even happens when nurses at the hospital inject him.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

My mom use to get 8 times ndeele in a day