Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Diabetic Diva Is Back

I'm trying to eat the diabetic way—which is a diet consisting mainly of fruits and vegetables, small amounts of proteins and even smaller amounts of carbohydrates. It isn't working very well.

Why?

I'm glad you asked. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl. I don't like all of those fancy vegetables like peppers, onions and sprouts. I like beans, peas, corn, and my favorite, potatoes.

I love potatoes cooked any way. Fried, mashed, steamed, baked, au gratin, boiled; I'm beginning to salivate just a little. Anyhow, mashed potatoes with brown gravy are my favorite food.

There's only one problem: Potatoes are very high in carbohydrates, and, as you know, carbs break down into sugar which your body then uses to provide you with energy.

Wait! Slow down! Hold up a minute! I know what you're saying. Aren't diabetics supposed to avoid sugar? After all, the term sugar diabetes has been used to describe Diabetes Mellitus for many years.

You would be correct. But, it just isn't potatoes; it's also rice, bread and grains, everything that I enjoy. I was raised on a farm and we didn't grow bean sprouts; we grew potatoes, corn and beans. I really think it's hard to change a way of eating that I grew up with.

Shoot, I gave up the desserts! I once had a doctor tell me that he would rather I ate a piece of cake instead of a baked potato. Go figure!

All the Diabetic Diva is saying is that I don't mind altering my diet in some ways to keep my glucose levels low, but, leave my taters alone. That's one food I'm not giving up!

Tune in next time when the discussion may or may not involve exercise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think that diabetes meant "drop the cookie". I had NO idea of the implications, inherent dangers, and just dang ol' awfulness of this disease. I've been in the hospital with pancreatitis that was caused by one of the oral meds for diabetes that are reported to "have no bad effects". Right.

So now I'm on Lantis and Humalog and still, my blood sugar rockets!

I'm getting SO tired.

Anonymous said...

And don't forget those potato by-products such as potato chips, sticks,bread, etc. I have just about given them up and they were the hardest to walk away from. Kudos to all you who can eat right. Little by little this disease is making me older than my years with a lot of pain (both physically and mentally).

Da Old Man said...

@ Dana: It's much worse than doctors tell you. They usually undersell the impact

Rossuljd said...

All of these accidents could have been avoided if the proper rules and regulations were followed. I am talking about Warehouse Careers employment opportunities. Every sector of this economy is down, but the Government has promised to make some positive changes to turn things around. And this is something that I believe they are going to deliver on. The real question is what careers are going to benefit more than others to get you over the hump and employed longer. Our Forklift Video program was created to assist facilities in complying with OSHA's Powered Industrial Truck Standard. Fortunately for us, part of the incident was captured and uploaded to YouTube.