Thursday, October 30, 2008

Depression and Diabetes (part 1)

While no significant study has ever been conducted linking diabetes and depression, it has been suggested that such a link exists.
Bear in mind that many diabetics feel guilty for having the disease because, in many cases, particularly with type 2, it is brought on by lifestyle. Again, not always, it is tied to being overweight.
While it is easy to find the reason some people are overweight, it is often complex.

I have yet to meet an overweight person who truly is baffled by his/her weight problem.

Surely some are cursed with a terribly slow metabolism, but even then, most tend to eat way too much. A Big Mac, fries and a soda is not a healthy meal. Have a diet soda instead and it really doesn't change the fat and sodium overload situation. Sure, it's a few hundred calories less, but so nutritionally deficient that it doesn't really matter.
I know fast food is cheap, and damn, it's tasty, but sometimes that doesn't justify it. I've worked hard to get my habit (and that's all it is) down to maybe one fast food meal a week. I'm trying next to get it to once every other week. I'll check back and let you know how it goes. I'll be back with more in a few days as I study the depression/diabetes link.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My own dad is a diabetic and has been for years. But he takes the trouble to watch his diet very carefully and he has been able to control this problem. In my family, my grandfather and most of my uncles are diabetics so, it runs in the family. Kind of scary that I might be afflicted with the same problem later on. So, now I'm also trying to cut down on sweet stuff in my diet.

Vylat said...

Good to know that keeping slim by adhering to a good diet will stave off the disease as one gets older. Keep healthy.

eve cleveland said...

Hon,
It's hard not to want all that yummy stuff when the commercials keep showing it to you all day long!
Eve

Anonymous said...

I have an underactive thyroid, bipolar disorder and pre-diabetes, they are absolutley all connected. Hormones have such a huge bearing on depression. Such is life, fun, and unsuper.

Anonymous said...

I was just writing a blog entry that mentions diabetes and I linked to your blog from it so people can gain more info about diabetes. :)