Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My diabetic life (Part 6)

Last week, I made a committment to myself to clean up my food even more. Keeping in mind that I do eat a limited amount of sugar, one may wonder how I clean up.

I have completely eliminated meat and almost all dairy.

For example, today, the only dairy I had was a small yogurt with breakfast, and a tiny bit of shredded Romano cheese (I use the shredded because I find I use less than grated.)

And while I do eat sugar, I don't use a lot over the course of a day. For instance, many people drink sweetened adult oriented beverages like coffee or tea, along with the occasional soda. I drink water or unsweetened tea or coffee. (not artificially sweetened junk) I don't drink glasses of milk (read the carton--loaded with sugar) and only have about 6 ounces of juice a day.

I probably eat less sugar than the average diabetic who thinks they are eating a sugar-free diet.

One blog I read every day is written by Dr. Nicole Sundene. She has written some very interesting posts about diabetes. She is a Naturopathic doctor, and treats the whole person.

http://www.kitchentablemedicine.com/category/diabetes

Give her column a look when you can. It's worth it.

By the way, my food program is based on good science as researched by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

He sells a book (cheaply, I should add) describing it at his website Drfuhrman.com. Again, highly recommended.

Lastly, I do take a complete vitamin regimen. And the brand is not important, but buy good vitamins that are easily absorbed. I noticed a change right away in the way I felt.

One final thought: I did buy the book "Eating right for your blood type" (the one for diabetics) and it recommended for my type to eat a vegetarian diet. I feel better when I do, but I get so lazy. Protein like MickeyD's cheeseburger is fast, but Doc Nicole will let you know it's a fast way to get sick.

In much of the western world it is now summer. I would recommend diabetics try to eat better, take advantage of nature's bounty of fresh fruit and vegetables.

1 comment:

Mendozarvdd said...

$9.653 trillion (31 December 2007) The main selling point for foreclosed homes to the home shopper is that they are being marketed and sold for below their market values. Trading without stop loss is like playing Russian roulette with your money.